Got home early yesterday evening so I decided to bake. Intended to bake Butter Cake from KitchenTigress but I don’t think my parents will be keen for a buttery cake. So, Orange Sponge it was adapted from BeautyMe Love Recipes.
- 4 yolks
- 16g sugar
- 3 tbps orange juice
- Orange zest from 1 big navel orange
- 100g cake flour (sifted)
- 50g corn oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 4 whites
- 80g sugar
- Preheat oven at 180 deg C. Grease (with butter) the side of 20cm X 20cm baking tray and line the base with grease paper.
- Whisk yolks & sugar till light and fluffy. Add in orange zest and juice,continue to whisk till ribbony stage.
- In another bowl, whisk whites to soft peak and add in sugar, continue whisk till stiff.
- Gently fold in the whites mixture into the yolks mixture until well-blended.
- Add in the flour and gently fold it using a spatula until batter well combined.
- Lastly, fold in the corn oil until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into baking tray and bake at 180 deg C for about 30 mins.
- Remove cake, cool and ready to serve.
My Orange Sponge turned out to be very soft and spongy. It was still spongy after leaving it overnight. This is much more successful compared to the previous time when I baked Orange Sponge Cupcakes few weekends ago. And what’s best is that this came with a tangy taste compared to the previous one. I omitted the orange zest previously, that’s why.
But bear in mind that you need to do the right folding or else your cake will turn out non-spongy and hard. And mostly importantly, do not overmix the flour or else the cake will be hard and egg whites must be whisked to a soft peak form.