I baked both Durian and Banana Chiffon Cake yesterday evening after dinner at home. But unfortunately, only one of the cakes succeeded. Durian Chiffon Cake was a complete failure as I find the texture of the cake to be pretty dense.
To be honest, I used the recipe of Banana Chiffon Cake from DessertzHouse for my Durian Chiffon Cake. I followed all the ingredients but I substituted banana with durian flesh. Baking cake with durian as ingredient does seem to be a bit weird sometimes. Durian with cheese are a perfect combination but maybe not for regular cakes.
- 175g ripen bananas (without skin)
- 60g egg yolks
- 15g fine granulated sugar
- 40g corn oil
- 70g cake flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 140g egg whites
- 1/16 tsp cream of tartar
- 50g fine granulated sugar
- Blend bananas, egg yolks, corn oil and sugar together until smooth and thoroughly incorporated.
- Sift in cake flour, baking powder and baking soda into mixture. Add salt and mix till just even.
- Beat egg whites until they turned foamy and frothy before adding cream of tartar.
- Gradually add sugar in three batches when the egg whites had turned into a thick foam.
- Beat the egg whites until it reaches a firm peak stage.
- Scoop 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolks mixture and gently fold them in. Proceed in the same way with the remaining egg whites mixture.
- Give the bowl a couple of tap to release the bubbles trapped inside the batter.
- Pour the batter into a 18cm chiffon pan and bake in a preheated oven of 160 degree Celsius for about an hour or until when the cake is well browned.