I made Chilled Fresh Mango Cheesecake last Sunday evening when I found out that there were a few ripen mangoes resting in the kitchen. I had been wanting to make Mango Cheesecake but couldn’t seem to find the right kind of mango for it. Coincidentally, I still have two blocks of Philadelphia Cream Cheese sitting in the fridge. So, I decided to give this Chilled Fresh Mango Cheesecake a go.
Chilled Fresh Mango Cheesecake (adapted from XiaoPhnn)
- 150g crushed digestive biscuits
- 65g salted butter
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp fine granulated sugar *omitted*
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) ripen mango, diced
- 150g softened cream cheese
- 40g fine granulated sugar
- 80ml full cream milk
- 1 cup (8 oz) ripen mango, pureed
- 150ml whipping cream *I used thickened cream instead*
- 10g gelatin powder
- 100ml water
- Melt both salted and unsalted butter over a pot of simmering water.
- Mix digestive biscuits with the melted salted and unsalted butter together they are all well combined.
- Pour mixture into an 6″ springform pan and press them with the back of a spoon until they are all even.
- Put the springform pan into the fridge while preparing the filling.
- Double boil 100g of water and gently sprinkle gelatin powder into the water.
- Allow the gelatin powder to be fully dissolved before removing from the heat. Set aside.
- Mix both softened cream cheese and fine granulated sugar with a spatula until you get a smooth texture.
- Add in full cream milk and mix well.
- Pour in mango puree and mix well. (I poured the entire cream cheese batter into the blender with mango puree and blended them together for a few seconds so that the batter will be lump free)
- Beat cold thickened cream or whipping cream in a clean bowl until they turn stiff.
- Pour in mango cream cheese batter into the thickened cream mixture and gently fold them until they are all well incorporated.
- Pour in dissolved gelatin into the batter and mix well.
- Remove springform pan from the fridge and arrange diced mango on the biscuit base.
- Pour mango cream cheese batter into the springform pan.
- Bring the springform pan to the freezer to be chilled for at least 4 hours or overnight to set.
The filling did not have an overwhelming cheesy taste as it only used 150g of cream cheese rather than two blocks of cream cheese compared to other recipes that I had found over the Internet.
My filling looked wet in the picture as I did not put the springform pan into the freezer to set but fridge. According to Sister, it had almost the right texture but would have been better if it was set in freezer instead of the fridge.
To be honest, the process of making Chilled Fresh Mango Cheesecake is much more tedious compared to Baked Durian Cheesecake. But I don’t mind trying this again the next time but with another recipe.