Like I mentioned yesterday, a colleague of mine gave me a four pieces of bananas which was for praying purpose beforehand. I had intended to bake Banana Chiffon Cake yesterday but a few of them mentioned that they got sick of chiffon cakes already. I decided to try something different instead since the bananas were not as ripe and sweet as I hoped them to be.
Instead of using the usual Golden Churn butter, I used Anchor butter this time. When I attempted Gula Melaka & Walnut Banana Cake previously, I found the cake texture to be rather wet and greasy. So, a colleague of mine suggested using Anchor butter instead of Golden Churn butter. And I like the texture of my Banana Cake this time as it was not as wet and greasy as before.
Banana Cake (adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover)
- 125g unsalted butter *used Anchor*
- 70g fine granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs *used extra large eggs*
- 125g cake flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp double acting baking powder
- 150g mashed bananas
- Mix both cake flour and double acting baking powder together. Set aside.
- Beat unsalted butter and fine granulated sugar together until they turned pale and fluffy.
- Add in egg one at a time and mix until well combined.
- Add in vanilla essence, mix well.
- Sift in combined flour mixture and mashed bananas, mix well.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan (21.5cm x 11.5cm) and spread them evenly.
- Baked in a preheated oven of 180 degree Celsius for 30 minutes or until inserted cake tester comes out clean.
So, this was how my Banana Cake looked like when unmoulded and sliced. It was pretty holey on the inside. I am not sure what caused them though. My cake batter was slightly too wet before adding in the flour mixture as I used two extra large sized eggs instead of large sized eggs. But the cake still turned out well in the end.
The texture was not hard and dry. Quite soft, to be honest. But not as soft as a chiffon or sponge cake. The sweetness level was moderate as I did not use increase or decrease sugar quantity since the bananas itself weren’t that sweet in the first place. And most importantly, it is not greasy hence less guilty when consuming a lot. LOL!
I posted a picture of my freshly baked Banana Cake onto my Instagram yesterday evening and guess what Jia commented of the picture?