I woke up with a migraine this morning along with a backache which had been “haunting” me for the past few days. I came in to work on a late shift today. So, I slept in later than usual for a Sunday and woke up just in time to prepare lunch. It is 观音诞 today, so I am a vegetarian for half a day until lunch.
Guess what am I cooking today?
I would usually cook a big pot of Vegetarian Curry most of the time when I am a vegetarian for half a day. But I did not manage to get enough ingredients for Vegetarian Curry, hence I ended up cooking something with what I could find at home. The method of cooking a Vegetarian Chicken is simple and straightforward. Just like how you would cook a normal chicken dish.
As I am not allowed to use garlic or big onion when having vegetarian, I resorted to using ginger strips since it would enhance the flavor better. It would have been more fragrant if I sauteed the ginger strips with sesame oil instead of the usual vegetable cooking oil.
To make Vegetarian Chicken, you will need:
- Preserved vegetarian mock chicken
- Straw mushrooms, sliced into halves
- Ginger strips
- “Chicken” stock from the preserved vegetarian mock chicken
- Cooking oil or sesame oil
- Dark soy sauce
- Saute the ginger strips with cooking oil or sesame oil.
- Add in preserved vegetarian mock chicken when you smell the aroma of the ginger strips coming out and stir well.
- Add in the sliced straw mushrooms and stir well.
- Add in a few tablespoonful of the “chicken” stock.
- Add in a little bit of dark soy sauce if you wish your Vegetarian Chicken to look more like a real chicken dish.
- Remove from heat and serve!
My end product!