Decided to bake Gula Melaka Banana Cupcakes with Walnuts this afternoon after much hinting from one of my colleagues couple of days ago. She sponsored me some bananas last week but I hadn’t been in the mood to bake these cupcakes as the process is tedious compared to the other cupcakes/muffins which I usually bake. And I told myself that I will bake her these Gula Melaka Banana Cupcakes with Walnuts given that I can find ripe bananas. I found them at one of the vegetables/fruits stall nearby my house.
The original recipe calls for an 7″ square baking pan but you could always bake in cupcakes liners if you wish to share with friends. I personally find baking in cupcakes liners much more convenient for me to do sharing but the process might be a little bit of a hassle as I do not have a big ass oven at home. I needed to bake these cupcakes in three batches and my oven can only accommodate 6 cupcakes at a time.
My first attempt on this cake was baked in an 7″ square baking pan and it was considered successful but the whole cake just crumbled when I tried to unmould it. I should have followed the instruction about unmoulding the cake when it has completely cooled down.
First batch …
Second batch …
Without further ado, let’s get started with the ingredients and directions of making these Gula Melaka Banana Cupcakes with Walnuts! Original recipe was created by Cuisine Paradise and click here for the link to her original recipe.
- 250g unsalted butter *Anchor*
- 140g shaved Gula Melaka *120g Gula Melaka Paste from Indonesia*
- 270g self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 240g ripe bananas, mashed
- 60g walnuts, chopped
- 30ml Kahlua *66ml*
- Mix self-raising flour, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- Cream butter, gula melaka and vanilla extract together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Fold in half portion of the sifted flour mixture until well mixed.
- Add in the mashed bananas and stir until well combined.
- Fold in the remaining half portion of the sifted flour mixture and mix well.
- Add in Kahlua and chopped walnuts and mix well.
- Scoop mixtures evenly into cupcakes liners and bake in a preheated oven of 190 degree Celsius for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
So, this was how my Gula Melaka Banana Cupcakes with Walnuts looked like on the inside when sliced into halves. It looks more denser compared to my usual muffin bakes but rest assured that they were still soft and moist after some time. The cupcakes smelled extremely heavenly due to the gula melaka paste which I used. You could always use the large chunks of gula melaka and shave them if you couldn’t find gula melaka paste.
The walnuts did not have much effects on the cupcakes to be honest. I toasted them in the oven beforehand but I think Mom still finds them quite raw. LOL! Sweetness level is still okay but they are definitely greasy. Perhaps I should lower down the butter dosage next time? I did not notice that I overdosed on the Kahlua. I thought the recipe calls for 60ml but it turned out to be 30ml only! Only realized my mistake when I was typing away this blog entry.
If you happen to have all these ingredients in your kitchen, perhaps you might wanna give this recipe a shot? Happy trying!
PS: This recipe can yields about 13 to 14 muffin size cupcakes!