Ham, Mushroom & Cheese Buns (adapted from My Mind Patch)
Made these buns after I woke up from afternoon nap few hours ago. I had been wanting to make these buns ever since I found the recipe from My Mind Patch but had been procrastinating until I got the bun liners. I requested a cousin of mine to get these bun liners for me from Kuching as it is quite expensive here in Brunei. And I found a cheaper alternative to get these bun liners. From Taobao!
And Taobao even had a lot of things which I dreamt of getting for my baking adventures. It had muffin liners which Starbucks Coffee had been using for their muffins and a zester stick which I had seen many baking bloggers use for getting orange rinds.
Anyways, let’s get started on what I am about to do for this blog entry.
- 120g full cream milk
- 15g sweetened condensed milk *20g*
- 20g beaten egg
- 30g unsalted butter, softened
- 30g fine sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 180g bread flour
- 20g cake/top flour
- 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced canned button mushroom
- chicken toast
- Measure and weigh all ingredients in advance.
- Remove bread pan from the bread machine and install collapsible paddle.
- Place and pile up all ingredients in the same order as above (milk, sweetened condensed milk, egg, butter, sugar, salt, bread flour, cake flour and yeast).
- Wipe spillage outside the bread pan, if any.
- Return the bread pan into the bread machine and close the lid.
- Choose setting (Dough) and press START.
- Wait for machine to finish all cycles before removing the bread pan from the bread machine.
- Sprinkle some bread flour on top of the proofed dough.
- Sprinkle some flour onto worktop and remove the dough from the bread pan onto the floured worktop.
- Press down the dough to release the air trapped inside.
- Divide the dough into 9 equal portions.
- Roll up each individual dough into a ball, coat with bread flour, keep in a mixing bowl, cover and let them rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll the ball dough into round flat dough, slightly bigger than the size of your bun liners.
- Place dough into bun liners and let them proof in a closed oven for 40 minutes.
- When the dough were done proofing, poke some holes in the centre of the proofed dough with a fork.
- Apply a thin coat of egg wash on the edge of the proof dough.
- Sprinkle some chicken toast, sliced canned button mushroom and shredded cheddar cheese on top of the proofed dough.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 170 degree Celsius for 20 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown in color.
- Bring the buns to cool on a cooling rack prior to serving.
I just had one of these buns and they tasted extremely good. I thought the buns are gonna be sweet as I accidentally added in too much sweetened condensed milk. But thankfully, the shredded cheddar cheese neutralized the sweetness. The inside was soft even though it was a little bit hard on the crust due to the egg wash.
I had baked these buns with 180 degree Celsius instead of 170 degree Celsius on middle rack as I find them not browned even after 15 minutes into baking. If you love homemade buns, do give this recipe a try. It is really simple and delicious too! I am definitely making these again.