Blogging at this hour before work as I am still waiting for my second batch of Banana Muffins to be ready from the oven. I had baked a batch of Banana Muffins of the same recipe for Jia yesterday evening for collection when she was on her way home from Lumut.
I had too much ripe bananas in the kitchen so I thought I may as well bake some for her since she is a huge fan of banana cakes. Thank goodness that she loves the Banana Muffins as I had never used that recipe before. I find the Banana Muffins too sweet for my liking but the sweetness was just right for her. LOL!
Banana Muffins (adapted from Singapore Home Cooks by Chin Chin Chan)
- 190g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large ripe bananas, pureed
- 1 egg
- 75g unsalted butter, melted
- 150g sugar *120g raw sugar*
- Mix all the dry ingredients – all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Sift them and set aside for later use.
- Dissolve the raw sugar in the melted butter when the butter is still hot. Set aside to cool for a while.
- When the melted butter mixture had cooled down slightly, pour in the pureed bananas and egg, give it a quick stir with a balloon whisk for the mixture to be well mixed.
- Make a hole in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the banana mixture.
- Fold in both dry and wet ingredients together until no flour lump could be seen.
- Scoop batter with an ice-cream scoop between cupcake liners and bake them in a preheated oven of 190 degree Celsius for 20 minutes or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean in the center of a muffin.
- Leave the muffin in the muffin tray for about 5 minutes before removing them for cooling on the cooling rack.
This recipe yields about 8 to 9 pieces of muffins depending on the size of your muffins. If you love a recipe that is simple and straightforward with not much bowls to wash by end of baking, this recipe is definitely for you. It has a distinctive banana taste when you take a bite.
The muffins were moist enough until the next day. You know some recipes whereby the muffins go dense the next morning? This is definitely not one as the bananas made the muffins moist! Even Jia wanted the recipe from me so that she could try when she is craving for Banana Muffins!
These were the same Banana Muffins which I just baked a short while ago. Instead of using melted butter, I used melted margarine as these muffins are for praying. I reduced the amount of sugar more than half by using only 60g as the bananas were sweet enough.
According to my colleague, the sweetness level was just just right but unfortunately, the margarine made the muffins tasted salty. They were as if I baked them with salted butter. It never came to my mind that margarine is salty. xD
This recipe is definitely a keeper for me but I shall bear in mind not to use margarine anymore next time. LOL!