It has been more than two months since I last baked. I went home straight after work last Tuesday evening and I decided to bake Oreo Cupcakes out of boredom since I still have a tube of half eaten Oreo which I bought quite some time ago.
I had always wanted to attempt Oreo Muffins/Cupcakes previously but never found the right recipe to try until few weeks ago when I stumbled upon one on Singapore Home Cooks. As I am currently on a diet plan, I would avoid baking as it would be difficult for me not to have a piece when they were baked.
But surprisingly, I was able to resist the temptation of having a piece when baked. I guess after all the strict diet plan for the past two months, I am now able to resist sweet desserts! Honestly speaking, I did have a try when they were baked but I only had one small bite just to know how it tasted like for the sake of updating this recipe on my blog.
Oreo Cupcakes (adapted from Singapore Home Cooks by Lim Yen Li)
- 115g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 80g sugar *60g brown sugar*
- 2 eggs
- 115g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 60g mini Oreo, crushed *6 pieces regular sized Oreo*
- Cream butter and brown sugar together until they were smooth and pale in color.
- Add in one egg at a time and mix well.
- Add in vanilla essence and mix well.
- Gently fold in sifted self-raising flour in two batches with crushed Oreo until no flour lump could be seen.
- Scoop batter between cupcake liners and baked in a preheated oven of 190 degree Celsius for 20 minutes or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean in the centre of a cupcake.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool in the muffin tray for approximately 10 minutes before removing them to cool on a cooling rack. Store the cupcakes in an airtight container so that the cupcake will still remain soft until the next morning.
If you are someone who love Oreo, do give this recipe a try. However, I would reduce further the sugar content as I do find the cupcakes to be rather sweet for my liking. Surprisingly enough, Mom finds the sweetness level just right for her liking. Hmm … Is it that my tolerance for sweet has dropped?