Baked this afternoon since there was nothing much for me to day for the day. Jia invited me to a Thermomix cooking demonstration class but I don’t feel like going. So, I went home and baked these yummy muffins as I managed to get some good looking and ripe honey bananas from Hua Ho.
It has been a while since I last baked and I find the process therapeutic today. Don’t know why but that was how I felt throughout the entire process. Guess it is a good habit to bake like once in a while rather than doing it all the time. Hahaha … xD
And most importantly, I get to use this Organic Vanilla Extract which Sister bought for me from New York. Hahaha … Air flown all the way from The States. Of course, I have to pay for it and it was $14 per bottle!
Banana Blueberry Muffins (adapted from BitterSweetSpicy)
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed *pureed*
- 3/4 cup sugar *100g soft brown sugar*
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted *80g*
- 1/2 vanilla paste *vanilla extract*
- 1 cup fresh/frozen blueberries *frozen*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour *190g*
- In a large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients – soft brown sugar, plain flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Sift and set aside.
- In another clean bowl, pour in banana puree, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract together. Give a quick stir until all are well combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the sifted flour mixture, pour in the banana mixture and mix the batter until both dry and wet ingredients are well incorporated.
- Gently fold in frozen blueberries until well combined. Be careful not to overdo the mixture or else you will get tough and dry muffins.
- Scoop batter evenly with an ice-cream scoop between muffin cases and bake them in a preheated oven of 180 degree Celsius for 20 minutes or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean in the centre of a muffin.
PS: Highlighted in red were my modifications from the original recipe.
A sneak peek into my Banana Blueberry Muffin! As you know, I had been craving for sweets since last week. As I am too lazy to get my fix from Fleur-de-lys for their Carrot Cake, I decided to bake since Mom complained about the frozen blueberries taking up space in the freezer.
I never knew bananas and blueberries make a good team. I love these muffins as they were soft and fluffy. Both bananas and blueberries complimented each other very well. However, I find the muffins to be overly sweet though. Gonna reduce the sugar quantity the next time I attempt this recipe again.
If you had been following my baking entries, you would probably have realized that I always use Pisang Berangan for my banana bakes. But I used honey bananas this time round. It turned out that they are as good as Pisang Berangan. The kitchen smelled nice of bananas when these babies were baking in the oven.
This recipe is definitely a keeper for me and do try out the recipe if you are a big fan of bananas and blueberries.