Had Cafe Latte at Gloria Jean’s Coffees after work yesterday evening and ended up with multiple times of diarrhea. Guess my body was intolerant to lactose yesterday evening. Woke up pretty early this morning albeit I slept pretty late yesterday evening. Partly because of the diarrhea and I have a chiffon cake to bake.
Instead of using the Cote D’or chocolate block, I bought a 100g of Ritter Sport 50% Cocoa Dark Chocolate. Honestly speaking, I think this tasted pretty milky for a dark chocolate. I wanted to buy Whittaker’s which I usually use but it was out of stock.
Japanese Dark Pearl Chocolate Chiffon Cake (adapted from Copycake Kitchen)
- 3 egg yolks
- 35g corn oil
- 60g milk *full cream milk*
- 80g chocolate *Ritter Sport 50% Cocoa Dark Chocolate*
- 35g cake flour
- 15g cocoa powder *Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa*
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 baking soda
- 3 egg whites
- 45g fine granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice *1/4 tsp cream of tartar*
- a pinch of salt *omitted*
- Mix dry ingredients – cake flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate over a pot of hot water and stir still smooth. Set aside to cool down.
- When the melted chocolate had slightly cooled down, add in eggs, corn oil and milk. Mix well.
- Sift in flour mixture and mix well until no flour lump could be seen.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy.
- Gradually add in white sugar in three batches until it reaches stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in one third of the meringue into the chocolate batter and repeat the same with the remaining two thirds of the meringue.
- Tap the bowl a few times on the worktop to get rid of the bubbles trapped inside the batter.
- Pour batter from a height into an ungreased 18cm chiffon pan and bake in a preheated oven of 175 degree Celsius for 40 minutes or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
- Invert cake immediately when removed from the oven for approximately two hours or until cool enough to be unmoulded.