Baked some Banana Oreo Muffins this morning with the recipe which I had kept in my iPad archive for quite some time. I had bought a tube of Oreo months ago but never gotten around to try out the recipe until this morning.
Banana Oreo Muffins (adapted from Honey Bee Sweets)
- 220g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 180g fine granulated white sugar *150g*
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium sized bananas, mashed *4 bananas*
- 110g plain flour
- 110g cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 50ml buttermilk *50ml full cream milk and 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice*
- 100g Oreo, crushed to crumbly texture
- 16 mini sized Oreo *optional, for garnishing*
- In a large mixing bowl, add dry ingredients – plain flour, cake flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Sift and set aside.
- In another clean mixing bowl, cream butter and white sugar together for approximately two minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time and making sure that the egg is well mixed in the batter before adding the next egg.
- Add in mashed bananas and vanilla extract, mix well.
- Add in half of the sifted flour mixture and beat on low speed, followed by milk and the remaining half portion of flour mixture. Mix until well combined and be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Gently fold in the crushed Oreo.
- Scoop batter evenly between cupcake liners and bake in a preheated oven of 175 degree Celsius for 20 to 22 minutes or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean in the centre of a muffin.
- Leave the muffins to cool in the muffin tray for about 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a cooling rack.
This was the outcome of my Banana Oreo Muffins. The texture was surprisingly soft, light and fluffy. The texture was very much alike sponge cake. Albeit two sticks of butter were used, the muffins were surprisingly not heavy with butter taste but slightly greasy though.
I showed Jia these two pictures over Skype this morning and she asked if the muffins were sweet. I am sure the first thing to come to mind for majority is whether the muffins would be sweet since they were loaded with Oreo and bananas. But honestly speaking, these muffins were mildly sweet.
For your information, I ran out of buttermilk so I used an alternative method for buttermilk. I read from baking blogs that you can always make your own buttermilk at home. But baking end results may not be as good as using store bought buttermilk. It’s not a big deal for me, desperate time calls for desperate measure. LOL!