I ended up staying home on a Sunday. It poured cats and dogs as I was getting ready to go out after lunch. So, I decided to wait till the rain stops before heading out and I ended up taking a two hours afternoon nap. LOL! Woke up to slice up the Sicilian Orange Cake which I baked this morning before lunch.
Sicilian Orange Cake (adapted from Aroma Cookery)
- 250g salted butter, room temperature
- 200g fine granulated white sugar *150g*
- 4 medium eggs *3 large eggs*
- 250g self-raising flour, sifted
- zest of one large orange or 2 medium oranges *2 medium oranges*
- 120ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- In a mixing bowl, cream both butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in orange zest and mix well.
- Add in eggs, one at a egg and be sure that the egg is well beaten before adding in the next egg.
- Gently fold in your sifted flour and orange juice in the following sequence (flour-juice-flour-juice-flour) and be sure to end with the flour.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased or lined 9×5-inches baking loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven of 170 degree Celsius for 50 to 55 minutes or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean in the centre of the cake.
- Leave the cake to cool in the baking loaf pan for 15 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
So, I managed to get some shots of how my Sicilian Orange Cake looked on the inside when I sliced it up as the previous loaf which I baked was for Dad to bring back to Kuching. However, this loaf was completely for home consumption to which I am starting to think a little bit too excessive for the three of us.
I had a slice of this as my afternoon tea and it did not taste as orangy as compared to the one which Dad brought back to Kuching. I had further reduced the sugar quantity hence it did not taste sweet at all but the buttery taste was strong. It was moist and crumbly, I would say.
If you are fan of orange flavored cakes, do give this recipe a try. But I think I am gonna stick with 170g of sugar next time in case if the orange juice is not that sweet.