It was Sister’s last day at home yesterday before returning to Shanghai this morning. She was thinking of baking a Matcha Bread Loaf with the Matcha powder that I brought home from my Tokyo holiday last September. I told her not to as the flavor might be compromised as it is not the authentic Matcha powder but rather instant Matcha powder to make instant Matcha Latte.
And off we went to LeApple Bakery & Mart to buy Matcha powder and Sister mentioned about baking Chocolate Bread Loaf with the Valrhona cocoa powder which she bought from Shanghai for me. So, I baked a loaf of Double Chocolate Bread Loaf with the Valrhona cocoa powder and some ground cinnamon powder.
Double Chocolate Bread Loaf (adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover)
I searched online for recipes for Chocolate Bread Loaf. However, most of the recipes which I came across require water roux, overnight sponge dough or gelatinized dough. I prefer a straight dough method as it is easier and time saving. Light bulb moment suddenly struck me and I thought why not use the Double Chocolate Hot Cross Buns recipe by Nasi Lemak Lover? It is the perfect recipe for me as no water roux or whatsover is required.
- 240g fresh milk *full cream milk, cold*
- 25g unsalted butter
- 40g caster sugar *raw sugar*
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 350g bread flour
- 20g cocoa powder *Valrhona cocoa powder*
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon powder, optional
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 40g chocolate chips *Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- Measure all ingredients in advance with measuring cups and spoons.
- Remove bread pan from bread machine and install collapsible paddle.
- Pour in ingredients in the following sequence – milk, butter, sugar, salt, bread flour, cocoa powder, ground cinnamon powder and instant yeast.
- Wipe spillage outside the bread pan, if any.
- Return bread pan into the bread machine and close the lid.
- Choose setting (Basic – Normal) and press START.
- Add in chocolate chips when the machine beeps before the end of kneading cycle.
- Wait for bread machine to finish all cycles before removing the bread pan from the bread machine.
- Leave bread loaf to cool on a cooling rack prior to slicing.
The bread turned out beautifully and it smelled chocolate-y. If you are not a fan of ground cinnamon like I do, fret not. Despite there was ground cinnamon powder in the recipe, the taste was pretty subtle.
The purpose of ground cinnamon powder is to bring out the flavor of the cocoa powder. Unfortunately, the chocolate chips melted under the heat. However, the chocolate chips stayed in shape when I used them for cakes.
This recipe is definitely a keeper for me when I am craving for a chocolate bread. However, I think I would consider increasing the amount of ground cinnamon powder next time.