Sister came home for a long weekend holiday yesterday evening and reached home past midnight. I had been wanting to try a gluten free recipe but no one in my family aside from Sister likes it. Now that she’s home for holiday, it makes the perfect excuse for me to try a gluten free recipe.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes (adapted from Jessica in the Kitchen)
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour *gluten free all-purpose flour*
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup steamed pumpkin, mashed
- 1 tbsp raw honey *2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk*
- 1 cup almond milk *full cream milk*
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt *Swiss yogurt*
- 2 tsp cinnamon *omitted*
- In a clean mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients – gluten free all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Give them a thorough mixing. Sift the flour mixture and set aside.
- In a blender, add in mashed pumpkin, egg, sweetened condensed milk, full cream milk and yogurt. Blend until you get a smooth consistency.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over low flame. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter and cook for about two to three minutes, or until bubbles formed on the surface of the batter. Flip over and cook until both sides are evenly browned.
- Remove from frying pan and serve with your preferred toppings.
If you have been following this blog long enough, you may have noticed that I had previously attempted an similar recipe but made use of rolled oats. It is hard to get oat flour in Brunei.
The batter for gluten free recipe is very liquid in consistency when I had just combined both the dry and wet ingredients together. Let the batter sit for at least 10 minutes to activate the baking powder. The batter thickened up slightly after 10 minutes or so.
Texture wise, the pancakes were soft but not as fluffy as those made with regular all-purpose flour. The recipe is rather bland in my opinion. I would suggest adding more sweetener like sweetened condensed milk, honey or sugar if you prefer sweeter pancakes. Top the pancakes with your preferred toppings to enhance both texture and flavors.
If you’re interested in gluten free pancakes, give this recipe a try and let me know your thoughts!