Baked some Dangerously Dark Chocolate Muffins last Wednesday morning for my colleagues to bring to Alan in the evening. I baked some Double Chocolate Muffins on the evening before I went down to Miri two Wednesdays ago.
They were intended for both Alan and Ing but those muffins never get to see the daylight as they were unsuccessful in my opinion. Hence, they ended up for home consumption.
Dangerously Dark Chocolate Muffins (adapted from Bear Naked Food)
- 160g dark chocolate chips *80g semi sweet chocolate chips*
- 120g unsalted butter, melted
- 240ml buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 170g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 70g natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 190g castor sugar *120g fine textured brown sugar*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix all dry ingredients – self raising flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and sugar together. Sift and set aside.
- In another large bowl, pour in all wet ingredients – melted butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract and whisk until well combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Gently fold in both dry and wet ingredients until no flour lump could be seen. Do not over mix the batter lest the muffins will turn out tough when baked.
- Scoop batter evenly with an ice-cream scoop between muffin cases and bake in a preheated oven of 170 degrees Celsius for 15 to 20 minutes or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean in the centre of a muffin.
- Transfer muffins to cool completely on a cooling rack before storing them in an airtight container to preserve the freshness of the muffins.
This recipe yields about 19 small size muffins. I don’t usually use such kind of muffin cases for my muffins but decided to buy them as I find them useful for baking as hand gifts. The size was just perfect for two bites size. LOL!
Sweetness level was perfect for me as I had reduced all sugar quantity by half and I do not want my friends to end up being diabetic or having decayed teeth. The muffins stayed fresh until the next day as Alan had only collected them from my colleague on the next morning.
This recipe is definitely a keeper for me. If you are a huge fan for chocolate muffins, do give this recipe a try. It is easy and definitely fool proof. =D